Follow the Rules When You Maintain the Garage Door12/15/2013 Back To Blog
People, who spend a lot of time in the garage and have decided to do their own garage door maintenance, are not at stake by the components of the mechanism, but their ignorance on how to take care of the parts and they are also unaware of the basic rules for their personal protection while they are repairing damages. Even a tiny bracket can become dangerous, if you don't take the right precautions and you haven't been informed about the right procedures for a certain repair.
Get to know the mechanism
- You don't have to be afraid of the garage door parts; you just need to read about them in the manual and understand their purpose, needs and specifications.
- You should gather as much information as possible about the dangers that might threaten your mechanism because you can take the right measures and do proper maintenance on time.
- Don't interfere with the opener or other electric parts without unplugging the unit first. It will only take a second to unplug it, but you can be sure that you are not in danger at all.
- You should protect your hands, eyes, face and most parts of your body when you are doing garage door repairs and especially when you are engaging on more risky tasks, which involve the springs or the cables. 80% of garage door accidents reported in hospitals refer to simple injuries on the skin or hands and face.
- Make sure you have the right tools when you are doing any repair and when you need to climb a ladder make sure someone is close to you and able to protect you. Anyway, it is wise to service your garage door with the assistance of a friend because some parts are very heavy.
- Avoid doing repairs in the middle of the night and choose a nice sunny day to have better visibility.